"Neutron diffraction" SwedNess course 4 + 3.5 credits
Spring 2018, Stockholm University
2018-02-15 to 2018-03-16
Description: This course targets masters and PhD students in the fields of chemistry, physics, (perhaps even biology) and engineering interested in learning and applying neutron and X-ray diffraction. The course is divided into a theory (4 credits) and a project (3.5 credits) part. The theory part deals with principles of crystallography (description and analysis of crystal structures, symmetry, lattices and space groups, relations between crystal structures) and principles of diffraction (single crystal and powder, nuclear and magnetic) and is concluded with an exam. Passing the theory part is mandatory for continuing with the project part. The project part focuses on the application of powder diffraction to real problems (data sets).
Learning goal: the student should obtain a good understanding of the principles of diffraction and the application of diffraction techniques for phase and structural analysis of crystalline materials. The aim of the project part is to provide the student with tools and experience to independently perform advanced analysis of powder diffraction data.
12/02 - 16/02
19/02 - 23/02
26/02 - 02/03
05/03 - 09/03
12/03 - 16/03
Lectures L, 9:15 – 12:00
Lectures during project LP, 9:15 – 12:00
Exercises Exc, 13:00 – 17:00
- Fundamentals of Powder Diffraction and Structural Characterization of Materials 2nd Edition, V. K. Pecharsky and P. Y. Zavalij, Springer 2009.
- Experimental Neutron Scattering, BTM Willis, CJ Carlile, Oxford 2009 (Chapters 8&9)
- Applications of neutron powder diffraction, EH Kisi, CJ Howard, Oxford 2008
- A teaching edition of the International Tables will be provided
- Some e-learning exercises from https://www.e-neutrons.org will be included
- Usage of the Bilbao crystallography server http://www.cryst.ehu.es/ is encouraged.
- For drawing and analyzing crystal structures we will use the programs Diamond and Vesta. Diamond will be provided, Vesta can be downloaded for free.
The project will employ the license-free software packages GSAS and Fullprof.
Students need to bring a laptop, make sure you have internet access via eduroam.
Accommodation of non-local/non-commuting students is a problem. SwedNess-students could accommodate each other? AirnB?